In trying to attain a higher level of education in Ghana and many other developing countries, finances are one of the biggest blocks that stand in the way of students. These blocks would mean that students after senior high school are unable to access the transformative power of tertiary education.
In this piece of writing, we discuss 5 scholarships in Ghana to look out for. These opportunities have been instituted by the schools themselves or other well-meaning organisations and people to help support those who seek higher education. All of this support, running into millions of Ghana cedis, is to ensure that no one is left behind.
List of scholarships in Ghana
1. Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at KNUST
The Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology has quite a number of scholarship programmes. The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is one of those scholarship programmes. It was established through a partnership between KNUST and the Mastercard Foundation. The Mastercard Foundation is a well-meaning organisation based in Toronto, Canada. The program which spans a 15-year period, hopes to train some 2,250 scholars. These scholars are being trained to become ethical and transformative leaders who contribute to positive changes in their various communities and regions.
Purpose and Goals
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at KNUST strongly seeks to provide access to quality tertiary education for students who are brilliant but do not have the financial muscles to see their education through. As such, this scholarship programme empowers young people to give back to society, with a specific focus on fostering leadership, community engagement, and ethical values.
- Applicants must have genuine WASSCE, GBCE, ABCE, GCE O Level, and A Level, or equivalent results from accredited institutions, not more than five years old.
- Must meet KNUST’s admission requirements.
- Demonstrate critical economic needs.
- Have proven records of leadership and community engagement.
- Priority is given to females, displaced persons (certified refugees and internally displaced persons), and persons with disabilities.
- Must be prepared to go back and give back to their community.
- Must not be enrolled in any tertiary institution.
- Comprehensive financial support covers full tuition, on-campus accommodation, learning materials, transportation, and a monthly stipend.
- Counselling support services.
- Career development services, including industrial mentorship, career guidance, and enterprise development.
- Academic support through mentoring, virtual learning, and tutoring.
- Opportunities for leadership congresses, community services, and mentoring.
- Uniquely sourced internships for professional development.
- Inclusion in the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Alumni Network.
Persons who feel they qualify must carefully scrutinise the eligibility criteria, get together all needed certificates and documents, and provide some proof of service to the community and leadership. Applications can be submitted through the designated online portal, with clear instructions provided. Ensure to adhere to application deadlines and provide accurate information.
Because of the number of applications received, there is a strenuous process through which applicants are selected. The following are some of the things that are considered by the committee; academic achievements, leadership qualities, and community engagement. The timeline for selection is transparently communicated to applicants, maintaining fairness and integrity throughout the process.
For more details, interested individuals can visit the official Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the KNUST website for the application process, FAQs, and contact information for inquiries: Program Website.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at KNUST provides a strong platform for many brilliant students who are needy or come from deprived backgrounds to still get a chance at tertiary-level education. The scholarship provides comprehensive support and emphasises the importance of giving back. The program not only fosters individual success but also contributes to positive societal changes. If you meet the requirements, kindly check out the official website and get the needed materials together.
2. Fondazione Edu Scholarship for Level 100 Students, 2023/24
Fondazione Edu is a family foundation that was instituted in 2005 to help raise the standards of education, particularly higher education in Africa. The foundation was created to address the founders’ thoughts and aspirations to enhance access to tertiary education, particularly for young people across the continent.
Purpose and Goals
The objective of the Fondazione Edu Scholarship is to promote access to higher education in Africa, with a specific emphasis on technical-scientific and agronomic disciplines. The scholarship aims to support individual growth paths and the development of professionalism that contributes to sustainable socio-economic development in the long run.
- Level 100: regular students.
- WASSCE aggregate of 14 or better.
- Limited family income and/or insufficient funds to cover educational expenses.
- Demonstrated will to succeed (determination, perseverance, and success in other pursuits).
- Continuing science students with a CGPA of 3.75 and above (limited slots).
The scholarship covers tuition, books, accommodation, and a stipend. Awarded for four years, contingent upon maintaining a B average (3.00 CGPA) and demonstrating financial need. There are very limited slots for continuing science students with a CGPA of 3.75 and above.
- Complete the online application form, including the required essays.
- Print out a hardcopy of the completed online form with supporting documents.
- Submit the hard copy to the Student Financial Aid Office before the deadline.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Student Financial Aid Office.
- Recipients will be selected based on academic merit, financial need, and the will to succeed.
- The deadline for submission is Wednesday, February 7, 2024, at 2:00 p.m.
- For further details, applicants can visit the scholarship application page or refer to the FAQ section.
- Enquiries can be made by calling the Student Financial Aid Office at 020-518-6904 or 0302-945-312 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Student Financial Aid Office is located at House No. 11 East Legon, Main Campus, behind the College Basic and opposite CEGENSA.
The Fondazione Edu Scholarship for Level 100 Students in the Academic Year 2023–24 is a remarkable opportunity for eligible students to pursue higher education in Africa. With comprehensive coverage of tuition, books, accommodation, and a stipend, the scholarship not only supports individual growth but also contributes to the broader goal of sustainable socio-economic development in the region. Eligible candidates are encouraged to apply and take advantage of this invaluable opportunity.
3. KNUST Hulede Foundation Scholarship: 2022/23 Entry
The KNUST Hulede Foundation Scholarship is a one-year scholarship program offered at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) in Ghana. The scholarship is designed to support brilliant but needy international and Ghanaian students pursuing their university education.
Purpose and Goals
The primary goal of the Hulede Foundation Scholarship is to provide financial assistance to students who demonstrate both academic excellence and financial need. The program aims to create a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
- Open to all KNUST students in their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years pursuing a full-time program.
- Applicants must be brilliant but needy.
- The minimum grade requirement for continuing applicants is at least Second Class Upper.
- First-year applicants should have a WASSCE result or aggregate of at least fifteen (15).
- Applicants must provide essential documents, including admission and acceptance letters, recommendation letters, proof of need, and relevant academic transcripts.
- The scholarship covers tuition fees, accommodation, and a research grant.
- Payment of a stipend is not part of this scholarship.
- It is a one-year scholarship program.
- Interested candidates can download the application forms and detailed information from the provided link.
- All required documents must be submitted in a sealed envelope with the applicant’s name, program, and phone number.
- Submission is to be done at Student Affairs and Financial Services (Room 19) at the Dean of Students Office, J. Harper Building.
- Applications should be typed in Times New Roman, size 12, and double-spaced.
- The deadline for submission is Friday, February 11, 2022, at 4:00 p.m.
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview.
- Only shortlisted applicants will proceed with the selection process.
For further inquiries, applicants can contact the Student Affairs and Financial Services Office. The KNUST Hulede Foundation Scholarship is a significant opportunity for brilliant but needy students to receive support for their university education. With coverage of tuition fees, accommodation, and a research grant, this scholarship aims to foster a network of future leaders committed to making a positive impact on society. Eligible candidates are encouraged to apply before the deadline and take advantage of this valuable opportunity for academic and personal growth.
4. Educational Pathways International (EPI) Scholarship for the 2023–24 Academic Year
The Student Financial Aid Office (SFAO) is currently accepting applications for the Educational Pathways International scholarship scheme for the 2023–24 academic year. The scholarship aims to provide financial assistance to high-achieving students in need, supporting them in their pursuit of higher education.
Purpose and Goals
The primary objective of the Educational Pathways International scholarship is to empower gifted students, particularly those facing financial challenges, to access and excel in higher education. The program seeks to create a pool of future leaders committed to making a positive impact on their communities.
- Open to Level 100 students.
- Applicants must reside in an impoverished part of the country.
- Demonstrated limited family income and/or insufficient funds to cover educational-related expenses.
- Will to succeed, determination, perseverance, and success in other pursuits.
- WASSCE aggregate of 11 or better.
- Continuing students with a CGPA of 3.5 (limited slots) or Level 300 students in a six-year program.
- Medical students (Level 100 and continuing) with CGPA 3.5 are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must confirm they are not currently receiving support through any other scholarship program and pledge not to accept any other scholarship while in the EPI program.
- The scholarship covers tuition, books, room and board, and provides a little extra for the students.
- The award is granted for four years, contingent upon maintaining excellent academic standards of at least a B CGPA (3.0 GPA).
- Complete the online application form with the required essays.
- Print out a hard copy of the preview of the completed online form with all relevant supporting documentation.
- Submission of documents should be done at the Student Financial Aid Office on or before the deadline.
- Applicants will be assessed based on academic achievement, financial need, and the will to succeed.
- Shortlisted candidates may be called for an interview.
- The deadline for submissions is January 31, 2024.
For further inquiries, applicants can contact the Students Financial Aid Office at the provided phone numbers or email address. The Educational Pathways International scholarship offers a transformative opportunity for high-achieving students facing financial challenges. With comprehensive coverage and a commitment to fostering future leaders, this scholarship is a gateway to academic and personal success. Eligible candidates are encouraged to apply before the deadline and seize this chance to make a difference in their educational journey.
5. Mr. Eazi Students Fund for Academic Facility User Fees (AFUF) and Other Charges
The Mr. Eazi Students Fund has been established as a beacon of hope for needy students facing financial hurdles in paying their Academic Facility User Fees (AFUF) and other associated charges. A joint effort between Mr. Eazi and C. K. Tedam University of Technology and Applied Sciences, this scholarship strives to create opportunities for those facing economic challenges to complete their studies successfully.
Purpose and Goals
The primary objective of the Mr. Eazi Students Fund is to break down financial barriers hindering students from pursuing their academic dreams. By covering the entire AFUF and other charges contributing to total school fees, the scholarship aspires to empower economically challenged students, ensuring they can complete their education without the burden of financial strain.
- The scholarship is open to all students on the C. K. Tedam University of Technology and Applied Sciences Campus, spanning from level 100 to level 400.
- Applicants must possess their admission letter and a valid student’s identity card.
- No criminal record or history of disciplinary action is allowed.
- Applicants should not be recipients of other scholarship schemes covering AFUF.
- Critical economic needs must be demonstrated, with priority given to needy females, orphans, displaced persons, and individuals with disabilities.
- Commitment to supporting CKT-UTAS Students Financial Services in later years after successful employment post-graduation is expected.
- The Mr. Eazi Students Fund covers the entire AFUF and other charges contributing to total school fees.
- The scholarship is designed to be awarded for the duration of the student’s academic journey, ensuring consistent support.
- Eligible candidates can access the scholarship application forms from the students’ portal at https://mis.cktutas.edu.gh/.
- The application form is free and features a watermark indicating the current academic year, “2023-2024.”
- Qualified applicants, especially those who have made at least 60% of their fees, are encouraged to apply promptly.
- Completed application forms must be sent through the Head of Department, Dean, and the Dean of Students to the Registry.
- Recipients will be chosen based on adherence to eligibility criteria and critical economic needs.
- Any attempt at inaccurate information or fraudulent misrepresentation will result in disqualification and potential dismissal from the university.
For further inquiries, applicants can contact the university’s Students Financial Aid Office through the provided channels.
The Mr. Eazi Students Fund stands as a testament to the commitment of Mr. Eazi and the university to uplift economically challenged students. By providing comprehensive financial support, the scholarship creates a pathway for these students to complete their education successfully. Eligible candidates are encouraged to seize this opportunity and apply promptly, ensuring they embark on a journey towards academic achievement and future success.